AEIS MOCK EXAM PAPER 1 FOR SECONDARY 2 AND 3
Write an essay on one of the following topics. For students who are seeking to apply for Secondary Two, you should write 250-300 words. For students who are seeking to apply for Secondary Three, you should write 300-400 words.
1. Write about a competition in which one of your family members took part in
“So class, if you wish to take part in this competition, please come to me and get the entry form…”the teacher, Ms Tan, announced…
2. “Teenagers are selfish lot” do you agree?
3. Describe a shopping mall near your house
Section A: Vocabulary (10marks)
For each question 1 to 10, four options are given. One of them is the correct answer.
Fill in the correct answers in the brackets provided.
1. Many youths today are drugs that are harmful to their own bodies.
(1) using (2) abusing
(3) enjoying (4) violating ( )
2. Some unemployed become disillusioned. So, they pass their time drinking excessively and they become .
(1) alcoholics (2) criminals
(3) addicts (4) phobics ( )
3. Drivers under the of alcohol put not only their own lives at risk but also that of other motorcyclists.
(1) power (2) influence
(3) charge (4) arms ( )
4. We are living in the information , but we cannot teach people to live together peacefully.
(1) day (2) time
(3) period (4) age ( )
5. Hugh Thomas, a historian, that the spread of knowledge and education has taught mankind little in the way of self-control and less in the art of living with other fellow humans.
(1) considered (2) commended
(3) commented (4) communicated ( )
6. Throughout history, there have been a wide variety of governments, but few have been from corruption and injustice.
(1) except (2) affected
(3) exempt (4) included ( )
7. Some rulers have noble , but their limited power and short life span does not allow them to bring these to realization.
(1) plans (2) ideals
(3) cures (4) solutions ( )
8. Young ones today live a more comfortable lifestyle, but there is a ; they return from school to an empty house.
(1) advantage (2) upside
(3) weakness (4) downside ( )
9. When Mr Tan arrives home after work, he is often too tired and problems at work to spend time training and disciplining his children.
(1) attached (2) engaged
(3) preoccupied (4) diligent ( )
10. Children of working parents have large amounts of time, but a lack of sufficient parental is an invitation to trouble.
(1) training (2) vigilance
(3) support (4) supervision